Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Apple Wood Ipod Dock


Ok, so...I'm super stoked about this Ipod Dock.  It took me a few different tries to get it right but finally I got it to meet our standards :)  When I am in the shop I usually create things based on inspiration that I get from materials.  I'll see a certain piece of wood and will see a product / creation.  This piece is an example of just that.  I have been working with apple wood for the better part of this month and have been enjoying it a lot.  When I got my hands on this nice big chunk and saw the richness in the wood I kept thinking how it would make a sick Ipod dock.  And now, voila.  

The first couple that I made I free handed with the router just to get an idea of what I wanted it to look like.  When I figured out the design I made 3 separate router jigs out of compressed masonite board.  I rigged up a clamping system and then went at it starting from the biggest opening down to the smallest. For this particular Ipod dock I used 3 separate router bits for the various holes.  On the underside I used the router to make an 'S' slot for the wire.  I made it nice and snug so the the wire and plug will stay secure.  Once all the holes were cut the whole piece got a nice sand with medium grit sand paper and then a light finishing sand paper to polish it up.  When this apple wood gets a good sand and polish it has an unreal feel to it that keeps you coming back to it and rubbing your hands on it.  

Rustic Ipod dock = :)

This is the first of many Mac accessories that just came out of our shop and can be purchased on our Etsy store.  

Cheers!
















No comments:

Post a Comment